Monday, April 28, 2008

Milestones

My oldest turned six. This is the cake I made for him. I was very thankful that it actually stayed standing, since it was mostly held together by frosting. My son was actually really excited about it, and at $6, it was cheaper than one of those boring bakery cakes. Like most of my birthday projects, I got this idea from Family Fun magazine. I changed it from their sand castle cake to my medieval castle cake. Still, it's an awesome magazine. You can get a 3 year subscription for about $7 on Ebay. (I buy all my magazine subscriptions on Ebay, and I pay less than $10 a year total for all of them.)
Another benchmark, Child #2 told me that he wanted to wear underwear like his brother. This was a little surprising, considering three months ago I couldn't bribe him to even sit on the potty. I tried every trick and every tactic, and he barely went near it. Although, lately he had been trying to use it by himself. Okay, I told him, if you want to wear underwear, you have to keep your diaper dry. For two days, he ripped off his diaper every few hours and went to the bathroom himself, and he actually kept his diaper dry. Well, why not? So I put a pair of underwear on him. It's been almost a week, and he only wears diapers at night now. I see the light at the end of the tunnel!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome cake! I especially love the little guys guarding the door. They must have been tought to make out of frosting! ha ha, I know, they are toys. And congrats on your little guy finally deciding to join the big boys club! He deserves a reward. Nanny.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Just what we were looking for. My son is turning six and wants a spooky haunted castle cake. We were looking for idea pictures and yours won! Yeah! We'll post a picture of our take on your cake once it's made. Thanks for sharing in the big blog world!