Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Buried in Things to Do?

I am totally and completely overwhelmed. I spent the last few weeks visiting with my mum (awesome!!!). That's her, isn't she beautiful?? She does face painting, and she did all the kids faces, mine included. Then I did hers. I was going for a landscape. We also went to Blue Bell and drove by all the bluebonnets. After she left, I became steeped in filling out forms and making appointments in preparation for the homestudy. Then I got an itchy throat, which turned into a knock down cold virus, fever included. My eyes are droopy and my brain is slow, so I apologize ahead of time for all typographical errors.

Things I have to do:

  • fill out more paperwork
  • fold laundry
  • finish reading my library books (In Their Own Voices: Transracial Adoptees Tell Their Stories, There is no Me Without You, 10 Steps to a Successful International Adoption, Spectrum Guide to Ethiopia)
  • get more library books (Toddler Adoption, Journey to Ethiopia, Attaching in Adoption...)
  • sew things in my "mending" pile - most common problems are holes in the toes of footie pjs and holes in the back of my husband's jeans.
  • stock up on rice (because I hear they are rationing it and that is what people from south Florida do - if we hear that something is in short supply we go out and buy a dozen of it, no matter what it is)
  • bake a castle cake and make some kind of fake shields for Child #1's birthday party on Saturday
  • go to Wal Mart for metallic spray paint to make fake shields really cool because I love my kids and they deserve it,
  • list more stuff on Ebay (I've made $110 so far this month!)
  • list the really good stuff on Ebay while people still have money that hasn't gone into their gas tanks
  • fashion more tomato cages out of wire coat hangers and colored string (poor man's solution)
  • take the dogs to the Vet (totally putting this off because of the sheer expense of it)
  • do more paperwork,
  • go blow my nose and take some Tylenol because my head is all kinds of stuffed up (I am just thankful that the really sore, itchy throat is gone)
  • use up the bananas that are quickly turning brown by baking them into a lovely bread
  • clear more land to extend the garden a little more (coming soon: spinach, corn?, and beans plus more tomatoes - I think I have about twenty of those now),
  • cuddle with my kids and read them books because they just keep getting bigger and bigger so fast,
  • post on my blog... oooh, cross that one off!!
Things I wish I had time to do:


  • watch my DVDs from the library (Poirot with David Suchet, Philedelphia Story)
  • get Netflix again so I could finally see Juno and season three of Battlestar Gallactica (Yes, I am a total geek and I embrace it) Is the new season of Monk out yet?
  • watch Miss Guided on the web - I saw a few hilarious episodes and the one where they spoofed the Breakfast Club had me wanting more,
  • finish reading The Arm of the Starfish by Madeline L'Engle,
  • upload six months worth of digital photos so I can finally get CVS to print them,
  • get my taste buds back so I can enjoy a night time bowl of ice cream,
  • knit, crochet, cross stitch, work on my quilt, do a jigsaw puzzle, play killer UNO with my siblings... Oh now I'm just going off on a tangent of things I haven't gotten to do in five years. Well, no, that's not true. I did do a little on the quilt about six months ago, but Child #2 developed an unhealthy fascination with the sewing machine needle going up and down, up and down... I decided to wait until he was a little older, and I keep the sewing machine unplugged, just in case.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's your mom? She looks so young! You did a great job on the face painting. - Arty friend.

Ali said...

Thanks mom, I appreciate the compliment :) Perhaps the solar system for next time?