Monday, February 7, 2011

Ethiopian Cabbage Recipe

I had some vegetables to use up in my fridge, and I decided that tonight was the night that I would finally work up my courage to try out an Ethiopian dish and crack open some of my berbere. I used this recipe. I used baby carrots, potatos, one onion, and a half a head of cabbage. Instead of the spices listed, I used salt to taste and a teaspoon of berbere. It was a big pot, but I could have used half that amount of berbere! I served chicken and egg noodles with it which balanced out the heat a little, but it tasted great! And my house smells like an Ethiopian kitchen, which brought back all my memories. Now that I've taken the plunge, I am going to find some injera (or make my own sad version with buttermilk flenjses) to serve with it next time. Child #4 loved dinner tonight. She does not go for bland foods. She loves spicy sausage too :). (Child #1 also loved it, but Child #2 and 3 only wanted noodles and chicken. Sigh.)

2 comments:

Sha Zam- said...

I love this dish. It always makes too much for us and the potatoes don't freeze well (they usually come out mealy afterward). but it doesn't stop me. My guy likes more brothier foods so I add a can or two of tomatoes and some chx broth. YUM!

Ali said...

A can or two of tomatoes! I like that idea. I would add tomatoes to everything we ate if I could get away with it. :) Thanks for the tip Shannon!